Monday, June 21, 2010

God's Word Lived Out



The power of God’s Word is in the living. I had the privilege of going to hear Immaculee Ilibagiza speak this past week. She survived the 1994 Rwandan holocaust where over 1 million Tutsis were slaughtered by Hutus for no other reason than they didn’t like them. Immaculee was hidden in a 2 x 3 foot bathroom with 7 other ladies for 91 days. It was during that time she connected with Christ in a way that allowed her to forgive the men who butchered her mother, father and two brothers.

God taught her through the prayer His son gave to us and reminded her that she is to forgive as He first forgave us. She wrestled and struggled but eventually surrendered and then began to live out what she knew to be Truth. She is now a powerful speaker who shares her faith boldly and proudly.

The night before I listened to Immaculee, I stood in awe of God’s majesty as I looked at the most beautiful rainbow I’ve ever seen. God’s is beyond our complete understanding, but at the same time speaks in the most intimate way in tiny bathrooms in Rwanda and right here in my heart in Danville. I love being His child.

Today, Jim would have been 55. Derek and I played golf yesterday on Father’s Day and chatted quite a bit about Jim. After 5 years, I can still cry on command at the mention of his name, but then I simply repeat Jesus, Jesus, Jesus and peace washes over me. God continues to reveal His power in my life through the lives of others, through the sound of His name and most importantly through His word. He rescues me and carries me.

I know God called Jim home when He did and not me for a reason…there is no doubt in my mind. My focus must be on all things eternal. In the midst of all that He teaches me daily, He teaches me this consistently above all else…I should be very loosely tied to this world. My time, talents and treasures should all be focused on what brings Him glory. Each day, that is a new surrender, but it gets easier all the time. Bringing Him glory, brings me joy.

No comments: