Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I Want To Be A Sanctuary


I was pulling out of the driveway this morning at the same time as Zach. I watched as he backed his car out. He swung wide and his front tires rolled into the grass as he cut the wheel a bit too sharp. As I looked at him and shook my head, he put his index finger to his lips and said, “Shhhhh.” Then he mouthed, “It wasn’t me” as he grinned and headed down the road. My boys make me smile; they bring me joy and can put a spring in my step.

Sometimes, however, we run into speed bumps. Our differences cause friction in our relationship and in the family. As I chat with friends about things that I'm working through at home, most will say it’s typical and they went through it too. But while teenager differences and difficulties may be a part of most families, I was determined to stand firm on the character issues that needed to be addressed. The problems always go deeper than the superficial disagreement. God is so kind to grant me wisdom and knowledge to parent. He shows me exactly where I need to focus to bring the greatest reward and helps me help my boys become the young men that He wants them to be. But that doesn’t mean it’s easy.

I’m very thankful to God as He walks with me and continues to reveal what He wants for me as well. That, too, is a process. Over the past few weeks, He’s been working in several areas. All of which, are designed to make me more like Him. And as I draw to Him, I have a new and refreshing joy. Here’s what He’s been saying to me:

--Circumcise your lips…carve away all the unnecessary words, so that my lips can surely be an overflow of my heart. A preacher once said to “think” before speaking…are your words True, Helpful, Inspiring, Necessary, Kind. If not, don’t say it.

--He is asking me to love the person right in front of me. Not to spend too much time on what is on my calendar later in the day, later in the week or even think about what or who I want to spend time with, but love the person that God puts right in front of me at that moment.

--Focus on God, Himself, and not my circumstances. The circumstances often take on a life of their own. God is much, much bigger and I must stay fixed on Him. Listen. Period.

I just spent the weekend with my family in WV and love being there. It is relaxing. I had great conversations, ate well, visited with old friends, and spend time alone with God in the stunning nature He created. He shifted me while I was there. I want to keep being attentive to what He has to say. I was able to worship in my childhood church, and we sang…

Lord, prepare me to be a sanctuary
Pure and holy, tried and true
With thanksgiving, I'll be a living
Sanctuary for You

It is you, Lord
Who came to save
The heart and soul
Of every man
It is you Lord
who knows my weakness
Who gives me strength,
With thine own hand.

Lord prepare me to be a sanctuary
Pure and Holy, tried and true
With thanksgiving I'll be a living
Sanctuary for you

Lead Me on Lord
From temptation
Purify me
From within
Fill my heart with
You holy spirit
Take away all my sin

Lord prepare me to be a sanctuary
Pure and holy, tried and true
With thanksgiving, I'll be a living
Sanctuary for You


I can’t get these words out of my head!

No comments: