Wednesday, October 13, 2010

God's Word Anew

I bought a new Bible. Maybe that doesn’t sound like a big thing, but it is to me. The Bible I’ve been using for the past 5 years has become my best friend. It’s well worn; there are highlights all over and the cover is about to fall apart. It’s been to Mexico, Africa, Haiti and various parts of the US. It’s accompanied me in the woods, by streams and has literally laid on my person when I needed physical or emotional healing. I’ve never left anywhere overnight without it. I have many other Bibles, but they just won’t do. I need that Bible. It’s a study Bible and I truly love the questions and answers in the side columns and the great commentary at the bottom. However, I felt God’s Spirit whisper something different to me a few days ago.

Last Friday I spent the day at the Creation Museum. It is was wonderful to explore the incomprehensible planetarium as I got a glimpse of God’s vastness; I walked through the garden of Eden, the building of Noah’s ark and read scripture after scripture supporting Biblical Truth about how we were created and God’s plan of redemption. I felt such a warmth as His Word literally washed over my body and rested deeply within. The afterglow lingered into Saturday.

I headed out to run a few errands Saturday evening. I stopped in a Christian bookstore for no intended purpose. It was just nearby. As soon as I walked into the store, I immediately felt God’s Spirit tell me to buy a new Bible. As soon as I heard that voice, I felt a rush of excitement building in me. Prior to this, there would have been no convincing me to part with my beloved best friend that has truly been my life support. But that all changed in an instant. I heard Him speak and I walked straight to the Bible aisle. I felt strongly that I wanted just God’s Word—not life application commentary, not question and answers to study—just His Word.

As I made my purchase, I bounced out of the store and couldn’t wait to get home to start reading it from start to finish. I texted both my boys in my excitement and let them know about my new Bible. I believe they think I’m a bit silly, but I told them I pray every single day that they will get as excited about God’s Word as I do.

When I got home that evening, I prayed over it and asked God to reveal His Truths more deeply and powerfully to me…I told Him I want to know Him like never before. I actually didn’t let it out of my sight all evening.

So I’m 4 days in with my new best friend and the euphoria has not worn off. I am reading through Genesis and thoroughly enjoying basking in the joy His Word brings to me each morning, mid-day and again at night. I am so very thankful to have His Word living in me to teach, guide and comfort.

I can’t wait to see what He has in store as I keep digging.

No comments: